We’re currently in a seller’s market so as you prepare to sell your home it’s important to take a look at it both inside and out and to know which updates help sell a home. Yes, updates are important but it depends on several factors. This article from Ris Media gives some helpful hints which I have outlined below with a few of my own…
1) If you’re looking for a quick sale then be careful not to overimprove for the neighborhood or overspend keeping in mind your return on investment.
2) Kitchens and baths generally sell homes so if you have a budget for improvements the best rooms to update are the kitchen and master bath.
3) Clean up the outside – remove debris, trim the lawn and get rid of the weeds and if possible plant flowers or add a few potted plants because as you know you only have one chance to make a first impression. If your home is unkept on the outside buyers will be turned away and may never even make it inside. Sprucing up the outside is relatively inexpensive and yields a good return on your investment.
4) Best bang for the buck? Paint! Nothing brightens and cleans up the place more than adding a fresh coat of paint but remember to stick with neutral colors. You may love color but buyers want a neutral palette to then personalize and make all their own.
5) Clean carpets. It’s not very expensive but again brightens the space and will eliminate most stale odors. However, if your carpets are badly soiled it may be worth it to replace them at least in the high traffic areas.